Monday, December 10, 2012

Toys for Tots and Christmas

Hi everyone!

I have been thinking of Christmas.
Our tradition has been to make gingerbread houses from graham crackers- and last year I tried to get somewhat healthier by using dried fruit instead of all the candy, and that worked well. It is fun and totally process over product- lots of eating happens along the way! lol

Also, I get gifts for the daycare that I know the children will like, I wrap them and after Christmas the children open them- because Santa left them here for us. I don't do individual gifts because I think the holiday can get overwhelming plus the the toys will get far more use here.

Since it is a time of giving, I think it would be awesome if the kids were to bring in a wrapped gift for Toys For Tots, and some food items for the Food Pantry. We can keep them under the tree. Either I will drop them off at the Police Station or if possible maybe our friend Officer Dave will stop in and pick the gifts up.

Officer Dave is a great person, he personally handled giving out 50 complete Thanksgiving Day dinners. Dave went with him when he loaded all the turkeys into his truck! Anyway, I am sure he would love to be involved if we do something.

I know with Santa Claus that it can be hard for young children to understand how come some children don't get gifts?
I've known families that have explained that Santa only brings x number of gifts and the rest come from moms and dads and other family- so sometimes families need help.

So there's my idea for a new tradition- please let me know what you think!
Thanks!
Lanie

No comments: